Needless to say, the aim of human life is to realize God or Self. And to be free from the disease of fear of the vicious cycles of birth and death. For this, an effort is needed. Our wise liberated Sages and Gurus of the Kriya Yoga Order have rediscovered the scientific, mid-brain and highly effective technique to realize the Self in this very Birth.
It is also a fact that to make effort or to do Sadhana, we need a strong body, a strong mind, the power of understanding, and Dharana + Dhyana. By doing so we can attain the stage of Sabikalpa and then Nirbikalpa Samadhi. The Nirbikalpa Samadhi is the ultimate in spiritual ‘Sadhana’, which gives the `Jeevanamukta’ and the Paramukta’ state. At this stage, one gets mastery over death and life as the saying goes,
ब्रह्म वेद ब्रह्मैव भवतिMUNDAKA UPANISHAD
brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati
आत्मानं रथिनं विद्धि शरीरं रथमेव तु।KATHOPANISHAD CH 1 V 20
बुद्धिं तु सारथिं विद्धि मनः प्रगहमेव च॥
इन्द्रियाणि हयानाहुíवषयांस्तेषु गोचरान्।
Atmanam rathinam vidhi shareeram rathameva tu
budhim tu sarathim vidhi Manah pragrahamevacha
Indriyani hayanyahur Vishayansteshu gocharan
atmendriya manoyuktam, bhoktetyahur maneeshinah
The Body is the Chariot, the Intellect or Buddhi is the charioteer, the sense organs are the horses, the mind is the horses’ rein, the sense objects are the different roads and the soul or “Atman” is the “Rathee” or the rider.
नायमात्मा बलहीनेन लभ्योMUNDAKA UPANISHAD
nayam ātmā balahīnena na labhyaḥ
The weak cannot realize God. If the body is strong, it will not break down on the road. If the mind is strong, it will control the senses. The senses will not rush down the wrong paths. The Buddhi (Intellect) should be wise and expert midbrain so that it can guide the mind and horses. I will also take the master to his destination, i.e., Self Realization. It is obvious that a weak body, a weak mind, and an unwise intellect can not realize the Self. So, we have to make the body strong and free from disease and the mind healthy, pure and concentrated. We have also make the Buddhi (intellect) wise, sharp and to have the power of discrimination. Of all the yogic techniques, it is the “Mahamudra” alone, which can achieve these simultaneously.
Constituent parts of a Human Being
At this stage it is necessary to discuss about constituent parts of a human being.
- Gross Body (Sthula Sharira) – visible body
- Subtle Body (Sukshma Sharira) – invisible body
- Causal Body ( Karana Sharira) – invisible body
The Postures of Mahamudra
Now we will discuss how Mahamudra, during its three main postures; exercises, energizes, vitalizes, purifies, and refines the different parts and systems of the entire gross body and the invisible body. It also burns up the seeds of sinful acts of prior births and prepares the Sushumna for the upward movements of the Kundalini.
Sitting on Left Leg posture: The body weight rests on the left leg which is folded under the left thigh and heel pressing the Yoni or Kanda (space between anus and Root of Penis or generative organ). The right leg is first folded and pressed firmly against the abdomen and chest, there are a special breathing technique and movement of vital force along the Sushumna
- All the muscles of the Legs, Thighs, Hands, Arms, and Abdomen are contracted and pressed.
- All the big, small, and smallest arteries, veins, and lymphatic are pressed and squeezed. There is no stagnation of blood and more blood is made available to the Heart, Lungs, Spinal Cord, and Brain.
- This prevents Varicose veins, Myalgia, Fibrositis, Sciatica, Lumbago, etc.
- Muscle power also increases
- By putting pressure of right thigh over the Pelvis, right half of Abdomen and right lower Chest, Cecum, Ascending Colon, Ileum, Jejunum, Liver, Gallbladder, Stomach is pressed. massaged and exercised.
- The flow of bile and other digestive juices flow freely and there are good digestion and bowel movements. Constipation is cured.
- The right Kidney Ureter and Adrenal Glands are exercised. So there is no stone formation in the kidneys.
- High blood pressure is prevented and Endocrine Glands remain healthy.
- As the Lower chest and toe are pressed, the topmost of the Lungs open up and get properly ventilated. The Lungs remain healthy and powerful
- Lungs can utilize more oxygen.
In the next movement, the leg is stretched and the spine is bent forward.
- The pressure over the
Abdomenis released and chest which becomes healthier and stronger.
- When we bend forward the Spinal Cord is stretched and massaged, the intervertebral spaces open up and tiny blood vessels get filled up with pure blood.
- When we become erect again, these contract to get pressed, pushed the pure blood into the Spinal Cord.
Sitting on the Right Leg posture: Here the body weight rests on the right leg which is folded and pressed against the Left Pelvis, Left Abdomen, and Left Chest.
- The Rectum, Sigmoid Colon, Descending Colon, Spleen, Stomach, Portal Vein, Left Kidney and Left Adrenal Gland are pressed.
- Impure and stagnating blood is pushed out and when pressure is released, pureblood rushes in.
- All the other benefits of Stage 1 are repeated so that there is a double benefit.
- In females, the Ovaries, Fallopian Tubes and Uterus are exercised.
Menstrual Disorders, Sterility, Painful Periods and Menopausal Syndrome are prevented and cured.
- As the Perineal Muscles and Abdominal Muscles become stronger, delivery during childbirth becomes smooth.
- A youthful figure is maintained
- Males, particularly young people, it helps in Brahmacharya and celibacy.
It prevents and cures Obesity and prevents Protuberant abdomen
Both the Legs folding posture: In this stage, both the legs and thighs are folded and pressed against the Pelvis, Abdomen, and Chest. There is a 3 fold increase in the benefits of the above two stages.
- The Pancreas is exercised, so Diabetes Mellitus is prevented and in the early stages cured.
- All the Splanchnic blood vessels in the abdominal cavity which keep the blood stagnated are pressed and the extra blood released is made available to the brain and spinal cord.
Ida, Pingla, Sususmna and Kundlaini
- Stage-1 – Prana flows in Ida
- Stage-2 – Prana flows in the Pingla
- Stage-3 – Prana flows in the Sushumna Nadi
Kundalini is roused and as the Sushumna Path is opened by the above practice, this divine power Kundalini ascends up the Sushumna. If sufficient effort is made and contained at this stage, Kundalini (Shakti) rises up to Sahasrara in the brain and enters the Absolute (Shiva) or the non-functioning column in the pineal. And the Sadhak attains the stage of Nirvikalpa Samadhi and becomes Brahmavid and Jivanmukta. In the Shastras it is mentioned about Mahamudra:
sarbarogaupasanam jatharaagni bibarddhanam
bapusa kantim amalam jaraa mrityu vinashanam
baanchitarthaphalam soukhyam indriyanam chamaranam
etatuktaani sarbani yogarudhasya yoginah
bhabet bhyaasatu avashyam naatra kaaryaa bichaaranam
It relieves all diseases, increases gastric fire, gives a lustrous and glorious body. It destroys old age and death. It gives the Sadhak satisfaction of all virtuous desires. It subdues and destroys evil propensities. All these are acquired by the yogi when keeps on practicing `Mahamudra‘.
May the practice of Mahamudra Bless you with excellent quality and quantity of Life and Self Realization.
With Love and Blessings to you. Humbly,
Paramahansa Atmananda Ji